[Announcements] Sakai Newsletter February 10, 2011

Margaret Wagner mwagner at umich.edu
Thu Feb 17 10:09:21 PST 2011

Sakai Newsletter

February 10, 2011

1.  From the Executive Director

2.  Hallway Technologies Gains Sakai Commercial Affiliate Status

3.  IU Leverages Linux and VMware for its Sakai Oracle Database

4.  New Tool:  Attendance

5.  Gradebook2 Version 1.4.0 to be Released

6.  Register Now for Jasig Spring 2011: "Spotlight on Open Source"

7.  Deadline Extended for Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award (TWSIA)

8.  Release Notes Now in JIRA

9.  Sakai OAE Demo/Discussion, Monday, February 21 at 5:00 pm EST

10. Article about Oauth and Sakai

11. Call for Papers - the International Journal of ePortfolio (IJeP)

12. Longsight Group Open Position: Sakai Developer

13. Email Group Discussions

14. Events

1. From the Executive Director

The Sakai North American Conference 2011 will take place on the 14th,
15th and 16th of June, at the Westin Bonaventure, Los Angeles. The
13th and 16th will be available for pre-conference workshops and
project coordination meetings. The conference committee, chaired by
Chuck Powell of Yale University, will be making further announcements
in coming weeks. Thanks for your patience and forbearance whilst we
completed the initial conference arrangements.

Preliminary conversations have begun to shape the Sakai European
Conference. Whilst this remains a primarily regional event, the
Foundation will be providing some
coordinating support. Likely dates are around the end of September or
beginning of October. Again, further details will be posted as they
become available. European colleagues willing to serve on an
organising committee should contact me directly at
iandolphin at sakaifoundation.org

Ian Dolphin
Executive Director
The Sakai Foundation
iandolphin at sakaifoundation.org

2. Hallway Technologies Gains Sakai Commercial Affiliate Status

Hallway Technologies is proud to announce that the Sakai Board of
Directors has accepted our application for Sakai Commercial Affiliate
membership. While we were already active in the Sakai community, we
felt it was important to formalize our support of the foundation's
goals and advocate for the growth of the ecosystem by becoming an
official member.

Becoming an SCA member will allow us to increase our resource
contributions to the foundation as our company grows, as well as
provide us with a platform from which we can more deeply engage the
community. In addition to supporting institutions as they reach their
technological goals, it is the basis of our business to advocate for
the use and growth of the Sakai ecosystem. We have and will continue
to support the Sakai Foundation and community through development
contributions made to member and non-member institutions and
especially our work on Sakai OAE (Open Academic Environment).

Realizing that Sakai is a sum of its parts, we have enjoyed engaging
ancillary projects and will continue contributing to those projects
for the gain of their communities as well as Sakai's. We feel it is
important to encourage the Sakai community to form close relationships
with other open source communities to meet the growing technological
needs of higher education.

We are honored and excited about receiving Sakai Commercial Affiliate
status and all of the new possibilities in the coming years.

Michelle Hall
michelle at hallwaytech.com

3. Indiana University Leverages Linux and VMware for its Sakai Oracle Database

Indiana University (IU) was an early adopter of virtual services and
VMWARE as IU ran virtualized web and application server layers since
the initial Sakai deployment in 2004.   On October 30, 2010, the
Oracle database that supports the IU system, branded Oncourse, is also
running on Linux and VMware.  IU staff moved the database from an AIX
system running on an IBM p Server. Oncourse is one of the largest
installations of Sakai, supporting over 100,000 students and seeing
12,000 users on its busiest days.

IU chose this direction to provide the most flexible, recoverable, and
cost-effective data computing environment possible.  It introduces new
manageability and dynamic business continuity features supplied by
VMware, as well as an overall decrease in service cost through the
consolidation of physical server assets into commodity hardware.
Additionally, notable operational advantages will be realized as
systems are standardized on a common build and structure.

More information can be found at http://uits.iu.edu/page/bajn

Robert Lowden
rlowden at iu.edu

Longsight's clients. The idea is to have a simple table that lists
each day the class meets where a teacher can insert in attendance
records for each student. (To see a mockup, go to
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/ATTEND/Home)  I've heard
there's been some interest in the community for a tool like this and
it would be great to get the community involved. I'm hoping to get
input from everyone about any ideas or features they'd like to see.
Also, any collaboration with design, UI, coding, or
internationalization would help a lot. I've set up a wiki page where
anyone can contribute input/ideas or sign up to help:

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/ATTEND/Home

Here are some quick ideas for specifications:

- Show a listing of dates (similar to a calendar, but in a
spreadsheet-like format, rather

than a monthly calendar-style view, and with the students' names
listed in one column on the left)

- Have the ability to select only certain days of the week for viewing
as the default for a particular site (for example, Mondays and
Wednesdays only, if it is a M-W class)

- Enter an attendance mark for each student for each date the class
meets, such as P (present), A (absent), T (tardy), E (excused), H
(holiday), etc.

- Listing would be sortable by name, or specific date column

- Students displayed could be filtered by group or section

- Allow faculty to export and/or print the attendance data for offline
record keeping if needed

- Allow students to access the tool and view ONLY their own attendance
data for that class

Additionally, it would be really great if:

- Faculty had a place where they could define the start and end dates
of class for that term

- There were a way to tabulate the number of absences per user and
record it somewhere easily visible to faculty and students

- The instructor could choose to assign points for attendance, and
this data could be (optionally) linked to the gradebook to give an
overall attendance score

Even if you are unable to contribute, it would be nice to know the
interest level within the community for this tool, so please reply
with your thoughts or add comments to the confluence page.

Thanks,

Bryan Holladay
The Longsight Group LLC
holladay at longsight.com

5. Gradebook2 Version 1.4.0 to be Released

UC Davis is wrapping up QA for gradebook2 v1.4.0. We will deploy this
version to production on February 18, 2011.

Best,

Thomas Amsler
tpamsler at ucdavis.edu

6. Register Now for Jasig Spring 2011: "Spotlight on Open Source"

When:
- May 23 - 25, 2011
- Supplementary Seminars May 22nd and 25th
- Developer Days, May 26 - 27

WESTIN WESTMINSTER
10600 Westminster Blvd.
Westminster, Colorado 80020 USA
Hotel Front Desk: +1-303.410.5000
Toll Free, Reservations only: 1.800.937.8461
Special rate reservation: http://bit.ly/fceB44

We are bringing a little touch of Hollywood to Denver and celebrating
the increasingly vital role open source software plays in
organizations around the world. It's time to put the Spotlight on Open
Source!

See presentations and seminars on new technologies soon to impact
higher education. You'll be hearing about Spring 3, Groovy,  REST,
mobile applications, etc.

Plus, be a part of history as the executive directors of Jasig and the
Sakai Foundation discuss the future of these two organizations. (More
keynotes to be announced shortly.)

Spend seminar time implementing and upgrading uPortal, deploying CAS,
and optimizing your enterprise calendar; learn how to use uPortal's
new mobile theme; build dynamic JavaScript user interfaces using the
jQuery toolkit.  Learn how to develop next generation portlets, lay
the foundation for an enterprise identity management architecture;
learn how to submit a project to the Jasig Incubator.

Attend presentations on Identity & Access Management, Sakai OAE,
OpenRegistry, Open Source HelpDesk, Internet2 Middleware Solutions,
OpenCast, Kuali, and learn about the FIFER initiative.

Visit the Jasig Conference Site for more information:

http://www.jasig.org/jasigs-spotlight-open-source

Register now!  https://www.concentra-cms.com/register/start.action?confId=48

But wait -- there's more!!

The Jasig conference is followed by the InCommon Advance CAMP:
Identity Services Summit 2011, May 25 - 27  (same location, separate
registration).

The ACAMP program committee has invited all Jasig conference attendees
to join them for the first half day's sessions on Wednesday afternoon,
at no cost! ACAMP attendees, Jasig invites you to attend our Wednesday
morning sessions, too!

Visit the ACAMP event site for more information:

https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/ACAMPIdSummit2011/Home

Two great conferences. One great location!

See you in Denver!

- The Jasig Spring 2011 Program Committee

7. Deadline Extended for Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award (TWSIA)

The TWSIA Committee has extended the submission deadline for entries
to the Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award to Monday, February 21,
2011.  Submissions will be accepted until midnight the evening of the
21st.  The Award has been restructured to allow for entries from the
larger Sakai Community including primary and secondary schools,
portfolios, and non-course specific sites. You can learn more about
the award and view the evaluation rubric at
http://openedpractices.org/twsia. Select winners of the 2011 award
will have expenses paid to present their winning entries at the 12th
Sakai Conference in Los Angeles, California.

To apply for the Award, go to http://openedpractices.org/twsia/apply
and follow the step-by-step guide.

Robert M. Coyle,
Instructional Designer, Instructional Technology and Distance Education
rcoyle at jhu.edu

8. Release Notes Now in JIRA

Hi all,

We were doing a bit of brainstorming on how we could make the
construction of release notes better, faster, and more accurate (and
hoping that we don't have to choose 2 out of 3). Currently release
notes are compiled after the fact, usually by one person (thanks
Anthony!), and often fall victim to having either too much
information, too little information, or missing information.

Anthony was kind enough to entertain the idea that we could create a
new "Release Notes" field in JIRA so that developers can create
release notes at the time an issue is resolved (if not before). The
JIRA Release Notes field could be used to document a change in
behavior, a required manual conversion, deprecated/changed/new
features, or outstanding problems.

The aggregation and composition of release notes could be a less
onerous and more accurate task if developers make use of this new
field. Please give it a try -- it benefits us all when we upgrade to a
new Sakai release if we don't have any unplanned surprises.

Keep in mind that the "Release Notes" tab will not be visible until
you either (1) edit a JIRA entry or (2) have content in the Release
Notes field. Here are some JIRAs with example release notes:

Beth Kirschner
bkirschn at umich.edu

9. Article about Oauth and Sakai

Here is a blog post I added of a recent article by Matthew Buckett
about our OAuth work.

http://blogs.oucs.ox.ac.uk/adamweblearn/?p=1083

Adam Marshall
adam.marshall at oucs.ox.ac.uk

10. Call for Papers -- the International Journal of ePortfolio (IJeP)

Beginning today, January 21, the International Journal of ePortfolio
(IJeP), a double-blind, peer-reviewed, open access journal, began
accepting manuscripts.  The call for papers, along with full journal
details, can be found at:

http://www.theijep.com

The mission of the International Journal of ePortfolio (IJeP) is to
encourage the study of practices and pedagogies associated with
ePortfolio in educational settings.  The journal's focus includes the
explanation, interpretation, application, and dissemination of
researchers', practitioners', and developers' experiences relevant to
ePortfolio.  It also serves to provide a multi-faceted, single source
of information for those engaging in projects and practices associated
with ePortfolio.  A refereed (blind) peer-reviewed journal, IJeP
embraces inquiry into ePortfolio in educational settings holistically;
therefore, manuscripts considering the following areas of
investigation are welcomed:

- instruction and principles of learning that utilize and inform
practical, effective ePortfolio methodologies;

- evaluation and assessment methodologies and practices supported by
ePortfolio;

- case studies and best practices regarding applications of ePortfolio
for learning, assessment, and professional development supported by
scholarship of teaching and learning practices and research
methodologies;

- theoretically rich accounts of the principles grounding ePortfolio
work and its relationship to larger social and cultural phenomena; and

- innovative development and applications of technologies that enable
new ePortfolio practices.

Authors with questions regarding their manuscript's suitability for
IJeP should direct their inquiries to the Executive Editors at
ijep at vt.edu.

Please feel free to share this announcement with interested colleagues
and on appropriate listservs.

Kind regards,

C. Edward Watson, Ph.D., Peter Doolittle, Ph.D.
Co-Executive Editors
International Journal of ePortfolio (IJeP)
http://www.theijep.com/

11. Sakai OAE Demo/Discussion, Monday, February 21 at 5:00 pm EST

Lynn Ward will be presenting an informal Sakai OAE (Open Academic
Environment) technology update, including a live demo, for the Sakai
Teaching & Learning Design Lenses working group on Monday, February 21
from 5-6pm EST (gmt -4) .  This session is open to anyone who'd like
to attend.  Participation details are available on the meeting agenda
page in Confluence -- https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/WIJxB --
and will be posted to multiple lists later in the month.

Lynn E. Ward
leward at iupui.edu

12. Longsight Group Open Position: Sakai Developer

Position announced February 10, 2011

The Longsight Group is looking for an experienced developer to join
our team of Sakai experts who contribute to our clients' success and
to the Sakai community.   Longsight builds, customizes, hosts, and
supports open-source applications for higher education and non-profit
clients.   We are a rapidly-growing firm with a national reputation
for outstanding service and deep understanding of our higher education
and non-profit clients.  You can learn more about Longsight at
http://www.longsight.com

You will thrive in this position if you are a conscientious and
independent worker who creates sustainable code, is articulate,
organized, and can learn new systems quickly.  You will earn a
competitive salary plus fully-paid health/dental/vision/life
insurance, retirement package and vacation days.  As Longsight
continues to grow, you will have the opportunity to expand your scope
of work, take on additional responsibilities, hire additional
developers, manage staff, travel to conferences, and evolve your
position as the company expands.  Applicants with a strong history of
working remotely will be considered.  Longsight has staff in New York,
Ohio, Indiana and California.

Required credentials for this position are:

- strong experience with Java, Spring, Hibernate, SOA, web services

- experience with MySQL and database optimization

- excellent communication skills -- both oral and written

- ability to work independently; results- and detail-oriented

- a bachelor's degree from an accredited undergraduate institution

Desired qualifications are:

- Software development in a higher education environment

- Experience with open source and community source projects

- Experience with Sakai

To apply:

Your application should consist of a brief cover letter and résumé
emailed to search at longsight.com .  We will confirm receipt of your
application by email.  Tell us in your brief cover letter why your
skills, experience, and work style meet or exceed our expectations.
Your résumé should provide the details of your education and work
experience along with the names and email addresses of three
references.  Please do not request letters of your references at this
time.  This search will remain open until the position is filled.

Scott Siddall
siddall at longsight.com

13.  Recent Email Group Discussions

[Building Sakai] Exception when using HibernateTransactionManage
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Exception-when-using-HibernateTransactionManager-and-ContentHostingService-td6031018.html

[Building Sakai] Questions regarding Sakai configuration for multiple schools
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Questions-regarding-Sakai-configuration-for-multiple-schools-td6029809.html

[Building Sakai] Reminder: Proposed change in courier for 2.9.x
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Proposed-change-in-courier-for-2-9-x-td6007835.html#a6029029

[Building Sakai] support for Admin Lite users
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-support-for-Admin-Lite-users-td6028639.html

[Building Sakai] Oauth and Sakai
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Oauth-and-Sakai-td6028476.html

[Building Sakai] Update on 2.8 Oracle conversion scripts
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/WG-Sakai-QA-Update-on-2-8-Oracle-conversion-scripts-td6027947.html

[Building Sakai] Sakai on VMware?
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Sakai-on-VMware-td5983631.html

[Building Sakai] Passing text field value from one page to other page
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Passing-text-field-value-from-one-page-to-other-page-td6026419.html

[Building Sakai] Can we have lesson and course feedback in Sakai?
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Can-we-have-lesson-and-course-feedbac-in-Sakai-td6026396.html

[Building Sakai] Signup Tool error
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Signup-Tool-error-td6025986.html

[Building Sakai] CLE/2x trunk: new pack project (replaces pack-demo)
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-CLE-2x-trunk-new-pack-project-replaces-pack-demo-td6025481.html

[Building Sakai] Issues with upgrading
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Issues-with-upgrading-td6023620.html

[Building Sakai] for sakai and IMS Content Package import/export
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-for-sakai-and-IMS-Content-Package-import-export-td6012612.html

[Building Sakai] build Error:  On adding gradebook service API
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Pom-build-Error-On-adding-gradebook-API-td6015702.html#a6018484

[Building Sakai] how to solve POM Error
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-how-to-solve-POM-Error-td6022538.html

[Building Sakai] Sakai 2: Important Change for Maintenance Branches
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Sakai-2-Important-Change-for-Maintenance-Branches-td6022049.html

[Portfolio] Collections Tool in NYU Sakai OAE Instance
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Portfolio-Collections-Tool-in-NYU-Sakai-OAE-Instance-td6005924.html

[Portfolio] Update on Portfolio Reports Meetings
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Portfolio-Update-on-Portfolio-Reports-Meetings-td6005067.html

[Portfolio] Remaining Critical OSP Jira Issues
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Portfolio-Remaining-Critical-OSP-Jira-Issues-td6001454.html

[Portfolio] Use of xalan:evaluate
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Portfolio-Use-of-xalan-evaluate-td5993636.html

[Portfolio] Status of OSP Jira Issues
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Portfolio-Status-of-OSP-Jira-Issues-td5991267.html

[DG: Teaching & Learning] CSU SakaiOAE pilot started (Calvert, Dawn)
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/CSU-SakaiOAE-pilot-started-td6017739.html

[DG: User Experience] AI-based "prompts" (hints) to improve user
behaviour - do they have a formal name?
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/DG-User-Experience-AI-based-quot-prompts-quot-hints-to-improve-user-behaviour-do-they-have-a-formal--td6013877.html

[DG: User Experience] Important: Re-factoring lists
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/DG-User-Experience-Important-Re-factoring-lists-td5936928.html

[Using Sakai] Images in T/Q
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Using-Sakai-Images-in-T-Q-td6024793.html#a6024826

[Announcements] Sakai Test Fest 2/11
Sakai Test Fest 2/11

[Using Sakai] Site-stats only reflect Sakai users and not users from LDAP
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Using-Sakai-Site-stats-only-reflect-Sakai-users-and-not-users-from-LDAP-td6015980.html#a6026784

14.   Events

Jasig's "Spotlight on Open Source"
Monday, May 23 through Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Westin Westminster Hotel, Westminster, CO

Sakai North American Conference
June 14 -16, 2011
Westin Bonaventure, Los Angeles.
June 13 and 16 - pre-conference workshops and project coordination meetings