[Announcements] Jasig-Sakai Joint Working Group Releases Draft Bylaws for Merged Organization

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Tue Aug 2 06:16:05 PDT 2011

Colleagues,

The Jasig-Sakai Joint Working Group (JWG), which has representation from
both the Sakai and Jasig Board of Directors and Executive Directors, has
been working since September 2010 to investigate and plan for the merging
of our two organizations.  This group met in New York City at the
beginning of July (2011) to move forward on a number of tasks related to
the merger.  One of the outcomes from this meeting was a working draft of
bylaws for the new foundation which we are releasing to our two
communities today as means to get feedback, hear concerns and stimulate a
broader discussion of the plans.

It is important to stress that this is a DRAFT document that neither Board
has yet approved at this point.  As means to improve communication with
our communities, the JWG felt it was important and useful to release the
document at this early stage rather than waiting for more details to be
finalized.  As a result, you will see highlighted notes within the
document indicating places were details are still underdevelopment.  We
recognize that these are important details that our communities need to
see in order to fully understand how the new foundation will operate.  We
are very actively working on these and plan to release them over the
coming month or two for a similar round of feedback and discussion.

Finally, if you are interested in contributing to the dialog regarding the
planned merger, I would encourage you to join the Google Group that was
established awhile back for this purpose as we plan to use it for all
primary discussions with both communities.  If you have feedback or
comments on the bylaws posting these to this list would be the best way of
sharing them.  You can join the group by going to:
http://groups.google.com/group/jasig-sakai-collaboration.

All of us on the JWG have great respect for the many talented and
thoughtful people who make up our communities and are confident that your
feedback, questions and ideas will ensure the best possible outcome as we
work to finalize these merger details.

URL FOR DRAFT BYLAWS:
http://www.sakaiproject.org/sites/default/files/JWG-BylawsDRAFT-28July2011.pdf

Thanks,

Josh
Chair, Sakai Foundation Board of Directors
Co-Chair, Jasig-Sakai Joint Working Group

Joshua Baron
Senior Academic Technology Officer
Marist College
Poughkeepsie, New York  12601