[Announcements] Sakai 3 Project Director Has Been Hired

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Fri Jun 25 12:56:32 PDT 2010

I am very pleased to announce that Alan Marks will join the Sakai
Foundation staff as project director for the Sakai 3 project. Alan’s hire
is an important milestone for the project and for our community.

Alan’s most recent role was vice president of product development at
Limelight Development, a software startup.  He has 18 years of experience
in all phases of software development from concept through release to
sustained engineering. He has directed product development and managed
significant software projects for Microsoft, HP, SAP, Adobe & and others.
His background also includes public speaking and lecturing at the
University of Washington on topics such as user interface design and the
presentation of online information. His academic background includes a
M.S. from the University of Washington and a B.A. from the University of
Pennsylvania.

Incoming Sakai executive director, Ian Dolphin, has been involved
throughout the selection process and shares his perspective: “Alan brings
a unique combination of talent and experience to the position of Sakai 3
project director. We had a very deep pool of qualified applicants for this
position. We were able to identify and attract the candidate that brings
the approach and experience that create greatest confidence in the success
of the Sakai 3 project. I look forward to working with him to realise the
exciting vision for supporting academic collaboration that Sakai 3
embodies".

Alan will be a Sakai Foundation employee reporting to Sakai Foundation
executive director, Ian Dolphin, and accountable to the Sakai 3 steering
group which includes: co-chair Ian Dolphin (executive director, Sakai
Foundation), co-chair Phillip Uys (Charles Sturt), David Ackerman (NYU),
Clay Fenlason (product manager, Sakai Foundation and Georgia Tech), David
Goodrum (Indiana), Oliver Heyer (UC Berkeley), and John Norman
(Cambridge).  The position is supported, at present, by funds from the
participating institutions.

Alan begins work on Monday, June 28 and can be reached at
alanmarks at sakaifoundation.org. Please look for a message from Alan next
week, introducing himself and sharing his approach to the Sakai 3 project.

Join me in welcoming Alan to the Sakai community.

Josh Baron
Chair, Sakai Foundation Board of Directors

Joshua Baron
Director, Academic Technology and eLearning
Marist College
Poughkeepsie, New York  12601
(845) 575-3623 (work)
Twitter: JoshBaron