[Announcements] Sakai Newsletter May 27, 2010

Margaret Wagner mwagner at umich.edu
Wed Jun 2 15:37:48 PDT 2010

Sakai Newsletter

May 27, 2010

1.  From the Executive Director

2.  Position announcement: Sakai 3 Project Manager

3.  Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award Winners

4.  Sakai-Based Courses Win Major Awards in China

5.  GSoC Update

6.  "Kaltura Video in Sakai" - Sakai 2010 Conference Session

7.  Recent Email Group Discussions

8.  Events

1.  From the Executive Director

It's been a busy week at the Sakai Foundation and in the community.
We have a new version of software almost ready; the release team is in
the final stages of preparing the 2.7.0 release candidate.  More than
50 people have contributed to this version, so it's a true product of
the community.  Also, conference preparations are well underway.
Nearly 400 people from 6 continents are already registered, with new
registrations flowing in daily.  In addition to what promises to be a
thought provoking keynote by Anya Kamenetz, the author of DIY U:
Edupunks, Edpreneurs and the Coming Transformation of Higher
Education, we're looking forward to hearing from the winners of the
Teaching with Sakai Innovation Awards.  The awards were announced this
week.  Scott Bowman, Texas State San Marcos, Sally Knipe, Charles
Sturt University, Joshua Danish, Indiana University Bloomington, and
Karen Swenson, Virginia Tech, will show us some of the best examples
of teaching and learning in higher education.

We're doing our best to be green at this year's conference, and are
actively seeking ways to cut down on the amount of paper distributed.
For example, most attendees will travel with technology, so we're
planning to make the conference schedule easily accessible from
laptops and phones, and to print fewer copies of the paper version of
the program.  This year we'll use QR codes to help navigate the
digital schedule.  If you're planning to attend, keep an eye out for
mail as we near the conference dates that tells more about how to help
us keep the conference as green as possible.

Lois Brooks
Executive Director, Sakai Foundation
lbrooks at sakaifoundation.org

2. Position announcement: Sakai 3 Project Manager

Sakai is looking for a new breed of Project Manager. The vibrant,
broadly distributed, very diverse next generation Sakai project needs
a PM who can coordinate an agile development team with a focus on
inclusion, participatory design and broad community engagement. If you
are excited by this opportunity to explore new territory as part of
the Sakai team, please see
http://sakaiproject.org/news/sakai-3-project-manager-job-description
for details and application instructions.

lbrooks at sakaifoundation.org

3.  Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award Winners

We are pleased to announce the winners of the 2010 Teaching with Sakai
Innovation Awards. Winners in the 3rd annual competition are:

First Prize: Scott Bowman, Juvenile Justice, Texas State University-San Marcos

Second Prize: Sally Knipe, Transitions in Middle Schooling, Charles
Sturt University

Honorable Mention: Joshua Danish, Computational Technologies in
Educational Ecosystems, Indiana University Bloomington

Honorable Mention: Karen Swenson, Introduction to Science Fiction and
Fantasy, Virginia Tech

Each of the winners will be presenting their use of Sakai for teaching
and learning at the Sakai Conference in Denver, Colorado on June 15 -
17, 2010. Please see the conference website for the time and location
of the presentations. http://sakaiproject.org/static/conference-2010.htm

The Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award (TWSIA) highlights the core
elements of our community. The TWSIA program chairs, Kate Ellis and
Susan Roig, made a critical contribution in leading and managing the
entire award process, with support of a strong committee. The panel of
judges contributed their valuable time and expertise. IBM's
sponsorship and support from rSmart and Jon Wiley & Sons funded the
prizes and travel for the participants. These collective contributions
allow us to recognize and acknowledge faculty members that are leading
innovation in teaching and learning, and to learn from their ideas in
order to seed new opportunities for improvement and creativity.

On behalf of the community, I would like to congratulate the winners,
and thank those who contributed to make these important awards possible.

TWSIA Program Chairs
- Kate Ellis, Indiana University
- Susan Roig, Claremont Graduate University

TWSIA Judges
- Ken Bain, Montclair State University
- Angela T. Ragusa, Charles Sturt University
- Karen Swan, University of Illinois Springfield
- James Zimmerman, Montclair State University

TWSIA Sponsors
- Lead Sponsor, IBM
- Supporting Sponsor, rSmart
- Supporting Sponsor, John Wiley & Sons

4.  Sakai-Based Courses Win Major Awards in China

Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT), one of
China's major providers of distance learning and a Sakai institution,
recently won the National Excellent Course Awards (Cyber-Education)
from China's Ministry of Education for three fully online courses they
developed.  The courses included: Data Structure(Java)
(http://jx2.buptnu.com.cn/data_structure/), Theory of digital
telecommunication (http://jx2.buptnu.com.cn/digit_comm/), and Mobile
Telecommunication (http://jx2.buptnu.com.cn/mobile_comm/) which were
all developed and delivered using Sakai.

On a related note, BUPT hosted the 2010 International Virtual Learning
Environment conference on May 12-14 which brought over 60 institutions
and 200+ educators from around China together to discuss both the
technology and teaching associated with distance education.
Presentations included a broad range of topics, including Sakai with a
keynote from Josh Baron, Chair of the Sakai Foundation Board of
Directors, who provided and overview of Sakai, examples of innovative
teaching with Sakai and a look at Sakai 3.  In addition, John Leasia
and Zhen Qian, from the University of Michigan, presented on
Michigan's Sakai use and some of the technology they use to run their
enterprise implementation.

Joshua Baron
Director, Academic Technology and eLearning
Marist College
Josh.Baron at marist.edu

5.  GSoC Update

Bad news and good news this week. We lost one student, Cyrille, who
was going to work on the OpenSyllabus project but unfortunately had to
pull out.  But, Google was good enough to let us reassign the slot to
our excellent runner up, Manoj Inukolunu, 3rd year CS at BITS-Pilani
(in Goa), who is going to work on a citation manager widget for Sakai 3.

This is an exploratory project -- citation management is a major
academic activity and we figure there should be some synergy with
Sakai, we just haven't worked out what yet! So your input is very
welcome.  Manoj will be starting a page in Confluence for this.

Meanwhile, check out Ashish Mittal's post about his event explorer
project on the Sakai GSoC blog.

6. "Kaltura Video in Sakai" - Sakai 2010 Conference Session

Presented by Aaron Zeckoski, Software Engineer, Unicon, Inc.

This session at the Sakai Annual Conference will discuss the
Sakai/Kaltura video integration. Aaron Zeckoski, Software Engineer at
Unicon, presented the extension for the first time to the higher
education community at the Kaltura webinar, "Enhancing Your LMS and
EDU Programs with Online Video from Kaltura."  The webinar recording
is available here as a sneak preview to this session, which will take
place on Tuesday, June 15, at the Sakai 2010 Conference in Denver.

Lisa Di Pietro
Marketing Coordinator
Unicon, Inc.
ldipietro at unicon.net

7. Recent Email Discussion Groups

[Building Sakai] 2.7 release schedule
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Re-WG-Sakai-QA-Building-Sakai-2-7-release-schedule-td5104788.html#a5104917

[Building Sakai] 2.8 potential scope
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-2-8-potential-scope-td5098391.html#a5098391

[Building Sakai] BasicLTI Post 2.7.0
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Re-Building-Sakai-BasicLTI-Post-2-7-0-td5108041.html#a5108041

[Building Sakai] BigBlueButton
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-BigBlueButton-td5110475.html#a5110475

[Building Sakai] cache automatically updates itself?
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-cache-automatically-updates-itself-td5114997.html#a5114997

[Building Sakai] chat in presence[Building Sakai] Citation
Helper/Google Scholar on nightly build: No more links to Sakai

[Building Sakai] Tool's Icon
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Tool-s-Icon-td5107193.html#a5107193

[Building Sakai] Unexpected change in behaviour in 2.6.x wrt to Tool names
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Unexpected-change-in-behaviour-in-2-6-x-wrt-to-Tool-names-td5098256.html#a5098256

[DG: Teaching & Learning] Basic screen casts on how to use Sakai
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Using-Sakai-Basic-screen-casts-on-how-to-use-Sakai-td5108505.html#a5108505

[DG: User Experience] assignments ZIP files wants a password
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/DG-User-Experience-assignments-ZIP-files-wants-a-password-td5064461.html#a5064461

[DG: User Experience] Content Drawer?
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/DG-User-Experience-Content-Drawer-td5085299.html#a5085299

[DG: User Experience] Fwd: UMICH Sakai 3 Portfolio contributions
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/DG-User-Experience-Fwd-UMICH-Sakai-3-Portfolio-contributions-td5095847.html#a5095847

[DG: User Experience] Space
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/DG-User-Experience-Space-td5105168.html#a5105168

[DG: User Experience] UX Framework / working prototypes?
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/DG-User-Experience-UX-Framework-working-prototypes-td5076862.html#a5076862

[DG: User Experience] UX review process ?
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/DG-User-Experience-UX-review-process-td5104921.html#a5105033

[Portfolio] Changing Matrix Owner?
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Portfolio-Changing-Matrix-Owner-td5099779.html#a5099779

[Portfolio] Portfolio stories
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Portfolio-Portfolio-stories-td5079163.html#a5080988

[Portfolio] Problems with FCK editor in Sakai 2.6
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Portfolio-Problems-with-FCK-editor-in-Sakai-2-6-td5095023.html#a5095023

[Using Sakai] [Building Sakai] Citation Helper/Google Scholar on
nightly build: No more links to Sakai
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Citation-Helper-Google-Scholar-on-nightly-build-No-more-links-to-Sakai-td5081378.html#a5083053

[Using Sakai] Basic screen casts on how to use Sakai
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Using-Sakai-Basic-screen-casts-on-how-to-use-Sakai-td5108505.html#a5108505

[Using Sakai] My Workspace Resource Folder
http://sakai-project-mail-list-archives.1343168.n2.nabble.com/Using-Sakai-My-Workspace-Resource-Folder-td5094508.html#a5094508

8. Events

2010 Sakai Annual Conference
Tuesday - Thursday, June 15-17, 2010
Pre-conference sessions: Monday, June 14, 2010
Hyatt Regency Tech Center
Denver, Colorado
http://sakaiproject.org/news/2010-sakai-conference-website-goes-live-call-proposals-now-open

Advance CAMP (Campus Architecture and Middleware Planning) Workshop
"The Second Identity Services Summit"
June 23-25, 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
www.incommon.org/camp

2010 AuSakai Conference
Wednesday - Friday, September 15t-17
Pre-conference session: Wednesday,  15th September
North Sydney College, Northern Sydney Institute of TAFE
www.nsi.tafensw.edu.au/AuSakai2010