[Announcements] Sakai Newsletter February 4, 2010

Margaret Wagner mwagner at umich.edu
Mon Feb 8 11:39:02 PST 2010

Sakai Newsletter

February 4, 2010

1.  From the Executive Director

2.  Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award: Deadline March 15

3.  Google Summer of Code 2010

4.  Open Ed 2010 Call for Papers Open Through May 15

5.  Schedule for EuroSakai 2010 in Valencia Now Available

6.  Assignments 2 Incubating

7.  Reminder: Sakai Multi-Institutional Survey Call

8.  Recent Email Group Discussions

9.  Events

------------------------------------
1.  From the Executive Director

I'm very pleased to announce the availability of the latest
maintenance releases for Sakai, versions 2.6.2 and 2.5.6. A great deal
of effort across the community went into making these available.
Congratulations and thanks to everyone who participated in this
process. A special thanks to Anthony Whyte who not only coordinated
the process but pulled the releases together.

-------
The Sakai 2.6.2 maintenance release provides a set of bug fixes that
improve upon the Sakai 2.6.1 release. Over 80 issues have been
addressed by 2.6.2. More details can be found on these release pages:

- Sakai 2.6.2 Release Documentation (Overview, Installation,
Configuration, etc.) is on the wiki at:http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.6
- Sakai 2.6.2 fixes are listed with details at: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.6.2+Fixes
- Sakai 2.6.2 Release Artifacts (source, binary and demo versions) are
available at: http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/2.6.2/

-------
The Sakai 2.5.6 maintenance release provides a set of bug fixes and
security enhancements that improve upon Sakai 2.5.5. Over 130 issues
have been addressed in this release and, again, more details can be
found on these pages:

- Sakai 2.5.6 Release Documentation (Overview, Installation,
Configuration, etc.) is on the wiki at: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.5
- Sakai 2.5.6 fixes are listed with details at: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.5.6+Fixes
- Sakai 2.5.6 Release Artifacts (source, binary and demo versions) are
available at: http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/2.5.6/

Michael Korcuska
Executive Director, Sakai Foundation
mkorcuska at sakaifoundation.org
phone: +1 510-859-4247 (google voice)
skype: mkorcuska

------------------------------------
2. Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award: Deadline March 15

Greetings,

For those of you at schools running Sakai, you may be interested in
applying for this teaching award:

----------
Sakai Teaching Award Call for Entries

Have you used Sakai to create a dynamic learning environment that has
enriched your students' experience? If so, consider applying for the
Teaching With Sakai Innovation Award. This award is intended to
highlight good pedagogy and innovation in teaching and learning with
technology and to share best practices. The winners are awarded with a
trip to the 2010 Sakai Conference, June 15-17, in Denver, Colorado,
USA (http://sakaiproject.org/static/conference-2010.htm) to give a
presentation about their teaching. All entries become part of the
openedpractices (http://openedpractices.org) repository of teaching
practices.

Deadline for entries is March 15. For more information and to apply
for the award, go to the Teaching with Sakai Innovation Award website: http://openedpractices.org/twsia
  .

Please forward this information on to your faculty, teaching centers,
and other appropriate folks.

Many thanks,

Kate Ellis
kdellis at indiana.edu

------------------------------------
3. Google Summer of Code 2010

Would anyone in the Sakai community be interested in taking part in
Google Summer of Code (GSOC) in 2010?  We've had two successful years
so far, and if we want to be considered as an open source project for
GSOC this year, we'll need to apply between the 8th and 12th March.
If anyone would like to take part as an administrator or mentor, I'm
happy to talk about our experiences last year and to explain what it
might involve.  Expressions of interest (email Laura at caret.cam.ac.uk)
in taking part before the beginning of March would be really helpful,
as then we can coordinate our efforts before applying as an
organisation.

There's lots of information online:

General info: http://socghop.appspot.com
Last year's FAQs: http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2009/faqs

Thanks,

Dr. Laura James
Centre for Applied Research in Educational Technologies
University of Cambridge
http://www.caret.cam.ac.uk
Laura at caret.cam.ac.uk

------------------------------------
4. Open Ed 2010 Call for Papers Open Through May 15

The Open Ed Conference theme for 2010 is "OER: Impact and
Sustainability."

http://openedconference.org/2010/

On November 2-4, 2010, the seventh annual Open Education Conference
moves to Barcelona for its first convening outside of North America!
The 2010 conference venue is CosmoCaixa, designated Europe's best
science museum in 2006.

The call for papers will be open through May 15. Submit your paper now!

http://openedconference.org/2010/call-for-papers

The Open Education Conference has been described as "the annual
reunion of the open education family." Each year the conference serves
as the world's premiere venue for research related to open education,
while simultaneously creating the most friendly and energetic
atmosphere you'll find at any academic conference.

Open Ed 2010 is jointly organized by the Open University of Catalunya,
the Open University of the Netherlands, and the David O. McKay School
of Education at Brigham Young University.

------------------------------------
5. The Schedule for EuroSakai 2010 in Valencia is Now Available

Hello!

The Schedule for the 3rd European Conference to be held in Valencia,
Spain from 1-3 March 2010, is now available at:
http://www.upv.es/var/eurosakai_schedule.html

All the information about the conference can be found at http://sakaiproject.org/sakai-european-regional-conference-2010

Remember to register before the 15th of February to get the benefit of
the Early Bird Registration Fee athttps://www.upv.es/pls/sosak/sic_eusakai.REGISTRATION?p_vista=poliformat&P_IDIOMA=i

If you have any question, concerns, or you need more information,
please contact: eurosakai2010 at upv.es

WE HOPE TO SEE ALL OF YOU IN VALENCIA.

Raúl Enrique Mengod López
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
rmengod at cc.upv.es

------------------------------------
6. Assignments 2 Incubating

Assignments 2 has entered incubation.

As many of you know, assignments 2 has been baking for some time at
Indiana University. Although it's another unavoidable case of a
project not entering incubation until it's rather far along in its
development -- and so our Sakai 2 precedents may mislead the casual
observer about the process -- I'm still happy to have it incubated so
far in advance of any release decisions. More room to breathe and do
the right thing.

So far I see a feature-driven development process which is then
polished with usability testing. I think the Product Council could use
the occasion to flesh out our review criteria, e.g., those for
accessibility with the help of the WG already making big strides.

I'd also like to point out the fronts along which assignments 2 has
been compelled to engage -- with gradebook and a variety of helpers,
with OSP, TurnItIn, and maybe others. This may be a challenge for UX
coherence in Sakai 2 contexts, but I think it helps confirm that the
underlying capability is pivotal, and should inform the Sakai 3 UX at
an early stage, provided we can trace it back to its essentials well
enough. As with many things in Sakai 3, it won't be enough to first
develop a tool and then look for horizontal integration points after
the fact.

Clay Fenlason
khomotso at gmail.com

(This write-up can be found at: http://sakaiproject.org/blogs/khomotso/assignments-2-incubating)

------------------------------------
7. Reminder: Sakai Multi-Institutional Survey Call

Colleagues,

We look forward to our first Sakai 2010 Multi-Institutional Survey
Initiative (MISI) meeting next week. We hope you will be able to
attend the phone conference on:

Wednesday February 10th at 1330 (1:30pm Eastern Time, GMT -5:00)

This call will be available via telephone and internet on the Sakai
001 conference bridge.
The Conference Bridges support both Internet (e.g., Polycom, XMeeting
[for MacOS], Ekiga [Linux, Windows]) and telephone connections:

- Telephone: +1 812 856 7060
- Internet: 156.56.240.9
- Sakai001
- Conference Code: 348#
- PIN: 72524#

If you are not able to attend, please send Steve an email and he'll be
happy to find an individual time to discuss your questions and comments.

PLANNED AGENDA:

1. Welcome to MISI
2. Description of planned activities: "core" survey question
development, distribution, collection, analysis (quantitative),
presentation of results
3. TO DO #1: Institutional Review Board (Human Subjects) approval/
exemption
4. TO DO #2: Voting and comments on last year's survey questions and
creation of new questions
5. Future conference call -- discussion of survey items
6. Questions/comments

We look forward to talking with all of you very soon.

Steven Lonn, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Usability, Support, and Evaluation (USE) Lab
Ph: (248) 905-1566
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~slonn/
slonn at umich.edu

Stephanie D. Teasley, Ph.D.
Director, Doctoral Program
School of Information
steasley at umich.edu

------------------------------------
8. Recent Email Discussion Groups

[Building Sakai] Test & Quizzes Nuance - score in grade book but no
submission attempt listed
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Test-Quizzes-Nuance-score-in-grade-book-but-no-submission-attempt-listed-td4514640.html#a4514640

[Building Sakai] JIRA cleanup and stagnant issues
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-JIRA-cleanup-and-stagnant-issues-td4508635.html#a4508635

[Building Sakai] general Jira question
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-general-Jira-question-td4514719.html#a4514719

[Building Sakai] Adding new contrib module
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Adding-new-contrib-module-td4514149.html#a4514149

[Building Sakai] [sakai-kernel] Version numbers
http://n2.nabble.com/Re-Building-Sakai-sakai-kernel-Version-numbers-td4502920.html#a4502920

[Building Sakai] Clean Install Compilation Error
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Clean-Install-Compilation-Error-td4513648.html#a4513648

[DG: User Experience] Learning Activities Investigation: Persona
review on Feb 8 and 9
http://n2.nabble.com/DG-Teaching-Learning-Learning-Activities-Investigation-Persona-review-on-Feb-8-and-9-td4510010.html#a4510010

[Building Sakai] JIRA cleanup and stagnant issues
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-JIRA-cleanup-and-stagnant-issues-td4508635.html#a4508635

[Building Sakai] KNL-205 binary incompatibility
http://n2.nabble.com/Re-Building-Sakai-sakai-kernel-Version-numbers-td4502920.html#a4508039

[Building Sakai] problem of the day... forums error
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-problem-of-the-day-forums-error-td4508032.html#a4508111

[Building Sakai] Mneme/Samigo sub-menu items as sites(tabs)
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Mneme-Samigo-sub-menu-items-as-sites-tabs-td4506384.html#a4506384

[Building Sakai] OutOfMemory error when importing Gradebook Spreadsheet
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-OutOfMemory-error-when-importing-Gradebook-Spreadsheet-td4505024.html#a4505024

[Building Sakai] RSF Present and Future
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-RSF-Present-and-Future-td4504975.html#a4522006

[Building Sakai] Wimba integration on 2.6
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Wimba-integration-on-2-6-td4465415.html#a4470670

[Portfolio] Duplicate portfolio: for review
http://n2.nabble.com/Portfolio-Duplicate-portfolio-for-review-td4497829.html#a4497829

[Portfolio] Evaluation and Group workflow
http://n2.nabble.com/Portfolio-Evaluation-and-Group-workflow-td4266674.html#a4266674

[Using Sakai] Sakai 2.6.x, LDAP and withdrawing studentry -- best
practices?
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Sakai-2-6-x-LDAP-and-withdrawing-studentry-best-practices-td4494616.html#a4494616

[Using Sakai] Campus-wide Surveys
http://n2.nabble.com/Using-Sakai-Campus-wide-Surveys-td4503726.html#a4503726

[DG: User Experience] sakai 3 ux, use fl-push instead of clearboth
http://n2.nabble.com/DG-User-Experience-sakai-3-ux-use-fl-push-instead-of-clearboth-td4517009.html#a4517009

[DG: User Experience] Usability testing results for Sakai 3 assignments
http://n2.nabble.com/DG-User-Experience-Usability-testing-results-for-Sakai-3-assignments-td4498156.html#a4498156

------------------------------------
9. Events

European Sakai Conference 2010 in Valencia, Spain
March 1-3, 2010
Valencia, Spain
http://sakaiproject.org/sakai-european-regional-conference-2010

Jasig 2010 Ten Years of Open Source Innovation
March 8-10, 2010
The Town and Country Resort
San Diego, California
http://www.ja-sig.org/conferences/10spring/index.html

2nd Annual Etudes Users' Summit
May 13 & May 14, 2010
Burlingame / San Francisco, California
Crowne Plaza San Francisco International
http://etudes.org/summit/

11th Sakai Annual Conference
Date and Time:
Tuesday - Thursday, June 15-17, 2010
Pre-conference sessions: Monday, June 14, 2010
Hyatt Regency Tech Center
Denver, Colorado
http://sakaiproject.org/news/2010-sakai-conference-website-goes-live-call-proposals-now-open