[Announcements] American Public University System Selects Sakai’s Learning Management System

Pieter Hartsook hartsook at sakaifoundation.org
Thu Apr 22 11:50:15 PDT 2010

American Public University System (APUS) announced today that it has chosen
Sakai as the foundation for its new Learning Management System (LMS). [press
release <
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100422006122&newsLang=en>
]

“Our students deserve and expect high quality learning outcomes at a very
> reasonable cost,” says Wallace E. Boston, President and Chief Executive
> Officer. “The new APUS Learning Management System will allow us to
> continually improve and enrich the already high-quality educational
> experience our students and faculty enjoy by providing the open source
> alternatives and resources offered by Sakai’s collaborative community.”

In selecting Sakai, APUS has committed to assisting the open source
community in the shared goal of creating a robust learning environment that
combines technology, content, and services to meet the evolving needs of
higher education. Close collaboration with the other institutions using
Sakai will influence the future development and direction of next-generation
higher education technology.

In addition to adopting Sakai software for its faculty and students, APUS
has become a member of the Sakai Foundation. The Sakai Foundation is
supported by voluntary partner contributions. Sakai Foundations member
organizations elect the ten-member Board of Directors, which provide the
strategic leadership for the Sakai Foundation.