[Announcements] Sakai Newsletter May 14, 2009

Margaret Wagner mwagner at umich.edu
Sat May 16 08:00:31 PDT 2009

Sakai Newsletter

May 14, 2009

1.  10th Sakai Conference Update: Early Bird Registration Discount
Ends Soon

2.  Boston Sakai Pre-Conference Workshop: Building a Portfolio for
Your Institution

3.  Boston Sakai Session on a New Vision for the Open Source Portfolio
in Sakai 3.0

4.  DSpace + Fedora Commons = DuraSpace

5.  Blackboard Catalyst Award Winners: Jim Pease and Michael Morrison

6.  9th Annual Cyber Teachers' Institute -- Registration is Open!

7.  Identity Services Summit

8.  Marist College Has Made 2 New QA Servers Available to the Sakai
Community

9.  Poll:  Personnel Assigned to Sakai

10. rSmart Job Opening:  Senior Software Engineer

11. Recent Email Group Discussions

12. Events

------------------------------
1. 10th Sakai Conference in Boston Update:  Early Bird Registration
Discount Ends Soon

This is a quick reminder that the Early Bird Discounted Registration
for the 10th Sakai Conference ends on June 5.  If you have not already
registered for the conference, please do so using the link below.

In addition, the discounted hotel rate of $199 per night (including
free internet access) ends on June 5.  After that date, the rate will
increase and rooms will be available on a space-available basis.

Conference Registration:  https://educonference.com/sakai/boston/registration/index.php

Hotel Registration:  https://resweb.passkey.com/go/65705248

We look forward to seeing you in July!

Mary Miles
mmiles at umich.edu

------------------------------
2. Boston Sakai Pre-Conference Workshop:  Building a Portfolio for
Your Institution Using Sakai

The Open Source Portfolio Community is pleased to offer a full-day pre-
conference workshop at Boston Sakai entitled:

"Building a Portfolio for Your Institution Using Sakai"

Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Morning and Afternoon

At the workshop, faculty, instructional technologists, and web
developers will collaborate on a simple portfolio project.
Participants will receive step-by-step guidance on building OSP data
structures, a chance to do it yourself with hands-on activities, and
the opportunity to get your questions about building portfolios
answered. The hands-on activities in this workshop will allow your
team to return to your campus to build your first implementation of
OSP! We encourage you to:

- Send your faculty and instructional technologists to the morning
session to learn how the OSP tools work together to enhance teaching
and learning, and to get hands-on practice in creating matrices,
wizards, and forms.

- Send your web developers and XML gurus to the afternoon session to
focus on technical knowledge and best practices for building OSP data
structures to implement a given portfolio design.

If you plan to attend the Teaching and Learning workshop in the
afternoon, please come to the OSP workshop in the morning and ask the
web developers from your institution to participate in more technical
activities in the OSP workshop in the afternoon.

For more details and the workshop schedule, please refer to the Three
Canoes Consulting website at:

http://www.threecanoes.com/2009-boston-workshop

Once you are registered for Boston Sakai, there is no additional
charge for this workshop.

The OSP Community hopes to see you there!

Janice A. Smith, Ph.D.
Three Canoes Consulting
janice.smith at threecanoes.com
jasmith at mm.com

------------------------------
3. Boston Sakai Session on a New Vision for the Open Source Portfolio
in Sakai 3.0

Dear OSP, Teaching and Learning, and Sakai UX Communities,

The OSP Community is pleased to announce that it will host a "blue
sky" discussion session on redesigning OSP for Sakai 3.0 at the Boston
Sakai Conference in July 2009.

This session will draw on previous work done at Sakai Amsterdam, Sakai
Paris, and weekly OSP community calls, to focus on preserving and
enhancing the core portfolio functions of Guide, Collect, Reflect,
Document, Tag, Associate, Evaluate, Present, Share, Assess, Report,
Flow, Customize, and Preserve.

We invite you to join us to discuss ways our communities could
collaborate to address areas of common focus in Sakai 3.0.

Janice A. Smith, Ph.D.
Three Canoes Consulting
janice.smith at threecanoes.com
jasmith at mm.com

------------------------------
4. DSpace + Fedora Commons = DuraSpace

In case you haven't heard by now, DSpace and Fedora Commons have
joined forces to create DuraSpace.  From their press release:

"Fedora Commons and the DSpace Foundation, two of the largest
providers of open source software for managing and providing access to
digital content, have announced today that they will join their
organizations to pursue a common mission.  Jointly, they will provide
leadership and innovation in open source technologies for global
communities who manage, preserve, and provide access to digital content.

"The joined organization, named 'DuraSpace,' will sustain and grow its
flagship repository platforms -- Fedora and DSpace.  DuraSpace will
also expand its portfolio by offering new technologies and services
that respond to the dynamic environment of the web and to new
requirements from existing and future users.  DuraSpace will focus
on   supporting existing communities and will also engage a larger and
more diverse group of stakeholders in support of its not-for-profit
mission.  The organization will be led by an executive team consisting
of Sandy Payette (Chief Executive Officer), Michele Kimpton (Chief
Business Officer), and Brad McLean (Chief Technology Officer) and
will   operate out of offices in Ithaca, NY and Cambridge, MA."

You can read the full press release here: http://tinyurl.com/pdraod

Congratulations to both organizations!

Michael Korcuska
Executive Director, Sakai Foundation
mkorcuska at sakaifoundation.org
phone: +1 510-931-6559
mobile (US): +1 510-599-2586
skype: mkorcuska

------------------------------
5. Blackboard Catalyst Award Winners:  Jim Pease and Michael Morrison

Jim Pease (jmpease at lsb.syr.edu) and Michael Morrison
(memorr02 at syr.edu) of Syracuse University have won a Blackboard
Innovative Development award for developing a "Sakai Learning
Environment Connector" between Blackboard and Sakai.   You can read
more at the following site:

http://blog.vcu.edu/blackboardfaculty/2009/05/bb_announces_catalyst_award_wi.html

------------------------------
6. 9th Annual Cyber Teachers' Institute -- Registration is Open!

You are invited to participate in the 9th Annual Cyber Teachers'
Institute (CTI)!

CTI has served as a meeting place for great teachers to learn,
unlearn, and relearn how to make effective use of web technologies to
support online teaching, learning, and collaboration. The engaging
dialogue on teaching principles and best strategies is the highlight
of CTI.

CTI is offered entirely online in an asynchronous format, delivered
through Etudes (based on the Sakai software). It consists of the
following professional development courses:

- CTI 100: You CAN Teach Online
- CTI 101: CLASSIC Cyber Teachers' Institute
- CTI 102: ADVANCED Cyber Teachers' Institute

Registration is now open! The courses are offered in June, July and
August.

The first course in the CTI series starts on June 1, 2009. If you are
interested, please register ASAP:  http://etudes.org/training-schedule-cti.htm

Each course is scheduled for three weeks. Many participants take all
three courses and enjoy moving through the experience together, as a
community. As per ex-participants, CTI is most valuable, rewarding,
engaging, and fun.

"The courses challenged me to question my old habits more intensely
than I have done in the past. I have experienced an exponential growth
in those things I need to teach (and learn) in the future." - Russ

"I am going on my third year of teaching so I am considered new to
academia. However, I have learned more in these short weeks than my
three years of teaching." - Mark

For more information, see: http://etudes.org/cti/

We hope to "see" many of you in CTI this summer!

Vivie Sinou
Executive Director, Etudes, Inc.
http://etudes.org/
sinou at etudes.org

------------------------------
7. Identity Services Summit

Jasig is co-sponsoring an "Identity Services Summit for Higher Ed Open/
Community-Source Projects" at the Internet2/EDUCAUSE annual ACAMP
event in Philadelphia on June 18th and 19th.

At this "Advanced CAMP," architects, developers, and deployers of
higher ed open/community-source software projects will explore
Identity and Access Management issues and challenges. Participants
will work together to identify common approaches to creating a more
coherent IAM environment across these projects.

For information about program, registration, and hotel accommodations,
please visit http://net.educause.edu/content.asp?Section_ID=434.

Jonathan Markow
jjmarkow at ja-sig.org

------------------------------
8. Marist College Has Made 2 New QA Servers Available to the Sakai
Community

Marist College is pleased to announce the availability of two
additional QA servers: QA10-US and QA11-US. As part of Marist
College's joint activities with IBM, rSmart, and the Sakai community
to enable Sakai on Websphere and DB2, they have added these two
servers. QA10 provides Websphere/DB2 on the System z mainframe
environment for testing the latest tag releases of 2.6.x; and QA11,
Websphere/DB2 environment on the System z mainframe is for testing
trunk releases. These two servers are the first-ever hosted Sakai
applications on a System z. This takes the total number of QA servers
hosted by Marist for use by the community to a total of five. For any
questions concerning these test instances, please contact me.

Adam Hocek
Information Technology
Marist College
Adam.Hocek at marist.edu

------------------------------
9. Poll:  Personnel Assigned to Sakai

I am curious as to the number of people assigned to running and
maintaining Sakai, and their roles. And so is my boss, and his boss,
and so on.

It would be great if you could take a moment to list the people
assigned to Sakai at your institution along with a very short
description of what each person does.

The installations list is a great resource, but it doesn't say much
about personnel:

http://sakaiproject.org/portal/site/sakai-home/page/29186420-3b36-4381-9d53-bba4d17b6f1f

I'll start:

UC Merced: 1 employee, 4500 users

1. Full-time, general (programmer, sysadmin, dba, help desk)

Thanks for any and all responses!

Joshua Swink
UC Merced
joshua.swink at gmail.com

------------------------------
10. rSmart Job Opening:  Senior Software Engineer

We are looking for an energetic and motivated Java Engineer to join
our team working on open-source web applications used by colleges and
universities around the country, specifically on our Sakai CLE
offering. The principle focus of this position will be integrating new
versions of the open source software into our product, developing
enhancements, and working directly with the Sakai community to further
enhance the application. This position will report to the Software
Development Manager.

Duties and Responsibilities:

- Design, develop, and implement web-based Java applications based on
Sakai.
- Resolve technical issues for our clients through debugging,
research, and investigation. - Merge defect resolutions and
enhancements between code bases.
- Work collaboratively with a diverse team of developers, web
designers, QA staff, and functional experts.
- Represent rSmart within the Sakai community, possibly including
community development time working on version 3.0
- Follow the company's software development processes and standards.

You can read the full job description here:

http://www.rsmart.com/news/open-position-sr-software-engineer-sakai

If you are interested or know anyone interested please contact me
directly.

John Bush
Development Manager
602-490-0470
john.bush at rsmart.com

------------------------------
11. Recent Email Discussion Groups

OSP stylesheet question
http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--OSP-stylesheet-question-td2901954.html#a2901954

Change the wiki ?
http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Change-the-wiki---td2908649.html#a2908649

Sakai components modification
http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Sakai-components-modi-fication-td2898570.html#a2906659

Remote Eclipse over X-Terminal
http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Remote-Eclipse-over-X-Terminal-td2889805.html#a2889805

FCKeditor improvement?
http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--FCKeditor-improvement--td2893338.html#a2893338

Setting up Sakai development environment
http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Setting-up-Sakai-development-environment-td2890177.html#a2890177

Import available users from a file to Sakai
http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Import-available-users-from-a-file-to-Sakai-td2883200.html#a2883200

Large Scale Quizzing
http://n2.nabble.com/-Using-Sakai--Large-Scale-Quizzing-td2884599.html#a2884599

about insert data in the database
http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--about-insert-data-in-the-database-td2870624.html#a2870624

performance storing resource bodies in SQL database vs network-
filesystem http://n2.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--POLL%3A-performance-storing-resource-bodies-in-SQL-database-vs-network-filesystem-td2867234.html#a2867234

Portfolio Share & Notify
http://n2.nabble.com/-Portfolio--Portfolio-Share---Notify-td2789573.html#a2789573

USER Poll: Any Sakai folks here using VoiceThread?
http://n2.nabble.com/-Using-Sakai--Poll%3A-Any-Sakai-folks-here-using-VoiceThread--td2886764.html#a2886764

Group assignments behaviour when a student out of that group
http://n2.nabble.com/-Using-Sakai--Group-assignments-behaviour-when-a-student-out-of-that-group-assignment-drops-the-course-td2871630.html#a2871630

Is anybody storing resource bodies...in MYSQLdatabase?
http://n2.nabble.com/-Using-Sakai--Is-anybody-storing-resource-bodies...-in-MYSQL-database--td2846937.html#a2846964

Is everything content in Sakai 3?
http://n2.nabble.com/Re%3A-Is-everything-content-in-Sakai-3--td2100598.html#a2100598

Proposal: create new Jira issue type: proposal
http://n2.nabble.com/-DG%3A-User-Experience--Proposal%3A-create-new-Jira-issue-type%3A-proposal-td2789784.html#a2826951

------------------------------
12. Events

eLearning Africa
May 27- 29, 2009
Le Meridien President
Dakar, Senegal
www.elearning-africa.com.

2009 MoodleMoot San Francisco and 2nd Sloan-C Symposium on Emerging
Technology in Online Learning
June 17-19, 2009
Hyatt Regency San Francisco
San Francisco, California
http://moodlemoot.org/course/view.php?id=9 http://www.emergingonlinelearningtechnology.org/

Advanced CAMP: Identity Services Summit for Higher Ed Open/Community-
Source Projects
June 18-19, 2009
Radisson Plaza-Warwick Hotel Philadelphia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
http://net.educause.edu/content.asp?Section_ID=434&bhcp=1

10th Sakai Conference in Boston
July 8-10, 2009
Cambridge Hyatt
Cambridge, Massachusetts
http://www.sakaiproject.org/portal/site/sakai-news/page/04ed2fa2-77e2-40da-8100-e0a08b9fea15

AuSakai '09
September 17-18, 2009
Charles Sturt University Bathurst Campus
Bathurst NSW, Australia
http://www.csu.edu.au/division/landt/ausakai09/ausakai09.htm

Assessment Institute in Indianapolis
October 25-27, 2009