[Announcements] Cambridge Hyatt rate

Michael Korcuska mkorcuska at sakaifoundation.org
Tue Jun 9 22:53:37 PDT 2009

As you may know, the Hyatt advertised a rate lower than the Sakai
group rate. They are not supposed to do this (by contract and by
common sense). We've spoken with the hotel and have come to a
resolution.

I'm pleased to let you know that they will be reducing our group rate
to $184/night.  This will apply to all existing reservations and to
reservations made between now and the end of this week (June 12). For
those who have made existing reservations there is nothing you need to
do--the hotel will be manually adjusting your room rate. The only
exception to this reduction is for those who have requested a specific
type of room (e.g. "River View" or "Balcony"). In these cases the rate
will remain $199/night.

This is, in fact, slightly more than what community members were able
to find on the internet. There are a few reasons why we thought the
Hyatt's proposal was fair:

* Our rate includes complimentary in-room internet ($12.95/day). So
our effective rate is $171/night.
* Not everyone would have been able to take advantage of the promotion
as there were a limited number of rooms available at that rate. So
some would have gotten a better deal while others would have been
stuck with the original rate. We felt this was the fairest to everyone
in the Sakai community.
* The Hyatt may still lower the hotel rate if rooms remain unsold. If
anyone does find a lower rate and wishes to change their reservation
they should feel free to do so (I'm tracking this via yapta and will
let folks know when/if it alerts me). We will manually reconcile hotel
guests with conference attendees and Sakai will get credit for those
room nights. If you decide to do this it would be helpful to let Mary
know.

So, a big thanks to Lydia from Stanford for finding the lower rate.
She's helped save everyone a few dollars!

Best regards,

Michael

--
Michael Korcuska