[Announcements] Sakai Newsletter December 3, 2009

Margaret Wagner mwagner at umich.edu
Wed Dec 9 15:43:59 PST 2009

Sakai Newsletter

December 3, 2009

1. From the Executive Director

2. QA Testing Season for 2.7 is Open

3. Open Library Environment Project

4. Product Council Decisions

5. Connexions Conference 2010 Announcement

6. Sakai Security Policy Reminder

7. Recent Email Group Discussions

8. Events

---------------------------------------
1.  From the Executive Director

As you know, we unveiled a new version of the Sakai website about a
month ago. We also know that more and more organizations are looking
at Sakai as an alternative to their current course management system.
Between these two factors, traffic on the Sakai website is up
substantially from a year earlier. With the help of Google analytics,
total visits to the Sakai site are 33% higher this year as compared to
the same period last year. Visitor time on site and total pages viewed
are also up, providing some evidence that the new site is easier to
navigate and providing better information. Google remains the largest
source of traffic, although Wikipedia is also an important source (so
if anyone wants to spiff up our Wikipedia page it would be
appreciated!). In raw numbers, the Sakai website gets over 1000
visitors every weekday.

If you haven't taken a look at the site, I'd encourage you to do so
(www.sakaiproject.org). And if you'd like to help us improve it please
get in touch with Sakai Communication Manager Pieter Hartsook
(hartsook at sakaifoundation.org).

Michael Korcuska
Executive Director, Sakai Foundation
mkorcuska at sakaifoundation.org
phone: +1 510-859-4247 (google voice)
skype: mkorcuska

---------------------------------------
2.  QA Testing Season for 2.7 is Open

It is QA season again for the 2.7 release and I am looking for people
to actively help out.

If you are interested you can sign up for the 2.7 cycle at:
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/QA/QA+Testers+Wall

Testing and coordination resources can be found under:
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/QA/2.7.0+Changes

A list of active QA server are mentioned at:
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/QA/QA+Servers+-+Sakai+2.7

If you want to help out with testing and this is the first time, you
may think that the process is daunting. You are always welcome to
contact me directly for a quiet chat. Your  help is most welcome.

Rutgers will be donating some QA resources for December and January.
On behalf of the Sakai Foundation I would like to thank them for their
efforts.

Alan Berg
Interim QA Director - The Sakai Foundation
Senior Developer / Quality Assurance
Group Education and Research Services
Central Computer Services
University of Amsterdam
A.M.Berg at uva.nl
http://home.uva.nl/a.m.berg

---------------------------------------
3.  Announcing the Kuali Open Library Environment

The Kuali Foundation, Inc., is pleased to announce that a group of
leading academic research libraries is partnering in the Kuali Open
Library Environment (OLE) (pronounced Oh-LAY) project to develop
software created specifically for the complex business management and
workflow operations of academic and research libraries.

To read more, please visit:
http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/12589.html

Brad Wheeler
bwheeler at indiana.edu

---------------------------------------
4. The Product Council and 2.7

On Wednesday, November 26, the Product Council gathered to reach its
first set of decisions: what new tools and capabilities were ready to
go forward into the 2.7 release.

The discussion was primed ahead of time on the public management email
list, data collected in the wiki, and a final consensus achieved on a
phone call.  The following tools/capabilities will be going into the
release:
         -- Site Stats
         -- Basic LTI portlet
         -- Conditional Release (but with functionality disabled by
default, to give more time for tools to participate in its service)

At the same time Profile2 was given two more weeks to address concerns
about broader institutional support and the implications of its
TinyURLService.

See the announcement at:
http://sakaiproject.org/blogs/khomotso/product-council-and-27

Clay Fenlason
clay.fenlason at et.gatech.edu

---------------------------------------
5. Connexions Conference 2010

Connexions is pleased to announce the second annual Connexions
Conference in Houston, Texas on Tuesday, February 2, 2010.  Connexions
Conference 2010 will give you the opportunity to build relationships
with others in the Connexions/Open Education Resources family, be they
users, authors, endorsing agencies or funders. Connexions Conference
2010 will have sessions on content projects from both major content
producers as well as grassroots content projects. The Conference will
have sessions discussing both broad and specific technical issues
including the new branding opportunities on Connexions. There will
also be sessions about the new installable version of the Connexions'
software, Enterprise Rhaptos, which will allow you to run your own
version of Connexions' software. Finally, there will be sessions on
the general state of OER.

Additional information about the conference can be found at:

http://cnxconference.rice.edu/

Pieter Hartsook
hartsook at sakaifoundation.org

---------------------------------------
6. Sakai Security Policy Reminder

A friendly reminder from the Sakai Security Work Group (WG): should
you encounter what you consider to be a security vulnerability in
Sakai software please refrain from discussing the issue on any public
listserv, blog or other open communication channel.

Instead, you should contact immediately the Sakai Foundation at the
following address:

security at sakaifoundation.org

Your concerns will be forwarded immediately to the Security WG for
review and action.

Be sure to include a phone number in case the Security WG feels it
necessary to contact you directly.

This ban on open discussion covers all public Sakai lists.  Do not
discuss potential or actual security-related issues regarding Sakai.
Doing so risks compromising the security of several hundred Sakai
installations. Instead, email your concerns to
security at sakaifoundation.org.

I should also note that Sakai integrates with many third-party
applications.  Given this reality and the potential for third-security
vulnerabilities to impact Sakai, I strongly urge that the Sakai
Community refrain from discussing publicly ANY alleged or actual
software security vulnerabilities on list.  Again, if you have a
concern regarding security send an email to
security at sakaifoundation.org.

You can download and review our security polices here:

Sakai Security Policy
http://sakaiproject.org/sites/default/files/sakai-security-policy-v3dot1.pdf

Cheers,

Anthony Whyte
arwhyte at umich.edu
Member, Security WG

---------------------------------------
7. Recent Email Group Discussions

[Building Sakai] truncation of uploads
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-truncation-of-uploads-td4113973.html#a4113973

[Building Sakai] Assignments dependency
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Assignments-dependency-td4087329.html#a4087329

[Announcements] Kernel 1.1.0-beta05 released
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Kernel-1-1-0-beta05-released-td4112186.html#a4112186

[Building Sakai] Recovering a deleted exam and its gradebook entries
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Recovering-a-deleted-exam-and-its-gradebook-entries-td4100565.html#a4100624

[Building Sakai] Location of IMS QTI DTDs for import
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Location-of-IMS-QTI-DTDs-for-import-td4101254.html#a4101254

[Building Sakai] Locale of Email Template
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Locale-of-Email-Template-td4103899.html#a4103899

[Building Sakai] Adding group management capabilities to entitybroker:
SAK-17471
http://n2.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?query=Locale+of+Email+Template&daterange=0&forum=1343168&startdate=&enddate=

[Building Sakai] can't find javax mail 1.4.3
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-How-to-send-a-email-td4056415i20.html#a4099086

[Building Sakai] Postem org.apache.commons.fileupload maven build
error in tagged 2.6.1 check out
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Postem-org-apache-commons-fileupload-maven-build-error-in-tagged-2-6-1-check-out-td4096534.html#a4096534

[Building Sakai] LDAP + auth
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-LDAP-auth-td4090619.html#a4090619

[Building Sakai] Is there a profile Picture URL for users in Sakai?
http://n2.nabble.com/Building-Sakai-Is-there-a-profile-Picture-URL-for-users-in-Sakai-td4079555.html#a4079555

[DG: Teaching & Learning] Report Out > Sakai Teaching and Learning
Group Update
http://n2.nabble.com/DG-Teaching-Learning-Report-Out-Sakai-Teaching-and-Learning-Group-Update-td4134338.html#a4134338

[DG: Teaching & Learning] [DG: User Experience] Leading Design
http://n2.nabble.com/DG-Teaching-Learning-Leading-Design-td4029295.html#a4029295

[DG: Teaching & Learning] learning capability requirements at CSU
http://n2.nabble.com/DG-Teaching-Learning-learning-capability-requirements-at-CSU-td4102692.html#a4102692

[Portfolio] Portfolios 3.0 and Wizards
http://n2.nabble.com/Portfolio-Portfolios-3-0-and-Wizards-td4139528.html#a4139528

[Building Sakai] OSP Production experience
http://n2.nabble.com/Deploying-Sakai-OSP-Production-experience-td4065377.html#a4065377

---------------------------------------
8. Events

Connexions Conference 2010
February 2, 2010
Houston, Texas
http://cnxconference.rice.edu/

Jasig 2010 Ten Years of Open Source Innovation
March 8-10, 2010
The Town and Country Resort
San Diego, California
http://www.ja-sig.org/conferences/10spring/index.html

11th Sakai Annual Conference
Date and Time:
Tuesday - Thursday, June 15-17, 2010
Pre-conference sessions: Monday, June 14, 2010
Hyatt Regency Tech Center
Denver, Colorado
http://sakaiproject.org/annual-conference