[Announcements] Sakai Foundation Staff Role Changes

Michael Korcuska mkorcuska at sakaifoundation.org
Mon Apr 13 09:25:11 PDT 2009

As you probably know, we've recently announced changes to the Sakai
development process. We're also making some related changes to the
role the Sakai Foundation plays in how it supports the community and,
as a result, I am making some changes to the staff roles.  Two new
positions are being created, one for a Product Manager and a one for
Communications Manager. Between the two, the goal is for the
Foundation to increase communication overall and to play a more
proactive role in developing and executing the product roadmap.

The Sakai Product Manager will lead the new development process for
Sakai and will drive both greater engagement from users and
contributors as well greater roadmap predictability for adopting
institutions. He or she will also serve as the liason between the
community and the Sakai Product Council. This will be a challenging
and invigorating role since the Product Manager will, in a very real
sense, "own" the Sakai roadmap.

The Sakai Communications Manager will be responsible for both internal
and external communications for the Sakai Foundation. He or she will
own the content for the Sakai website and the overall organization of
our wiki and other communication vehicles for Sakai. This will be a
very hands on role and will involve everything from developing a
communications strategy to writing lots of content.

These are both open positions and I am looking to fill them by the end
of May or early June. Job descriptions for both of these positions
will be posted "real soon now".  In the meantime feel free to contact
me directly if you are interested.

At the same time, the Project Coordinator position currently held by
Peter Knoop is being eliminated. In the years since the Sakai
Foundation was formed many things have changed and the new positions
allow us to best meet the challenges of the future.  While we are
still working on the exact details of his transition, Peter will
likely be with Sakai through the conference in Boston and afterwards
will be working at the University of Michigan. Those of you who have
worked with Peter over the years know that his knowledge of Sakai is
extremely broad and deep and have appreciated, as I have, his
diligence and exceptional intelligence.  I want to thank him, on
behalf of the Foundation and the community, for his contributions. I
hope he will continue to stay involved in Sakai.

In addition to myself as Executive Director, this leaves the Sakai
Foundation staff with the following full time staff roles:

   * Product Manager: Open
   * Communication Manager: Open
   * Developer Support, Release Management & System Admin: Anthony Whyte
   * Quality Assurance Manager: Pete Peterson
   * Conference Coordinator & Administration: Mary Miles

These are the "permanent" staff roles for the Sakai Foundation at this
time.  We do, from time to time, bring on part time and/or temporary
assistance to support certain initiatives (Nathan Pearson for the UX
initiative as an example) or to complete special projects.

Please let me know if you have any questions about these changes.

Best regards,

Michael

--
Michael Korcuska