[WG: Accessibility] Accessibility] Datepicker question

Rich Caloggero rjc at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 27 12:50:49 PST 2014

http://www.mit.edu/~rjc/aria/datepicker.html

This more-or-less works.
It uses the scheme presented in this article:
http://www.deque.com/accessible-jquery-ui-datepicker

I played around for a long time with jQueryUI trying to provide access directly to the calendar table, however things never seemed to work out correctly.  The article referenced above was an aha moment for me - jQueryUI already has keyboard control, so why not use it!  In a keydown handler I just grab the currently highlighted item via css class and extract the info then use the date picker's formatDate method to provide a consistent string which I send to a live region to be spoken by the screen reader.

The date field is wrapped in  a div with role=”application”; this allows arrow keys to be passed to the datepicker widgit more easily.  You can type a date in the field, or just press one of the four arrows and hear the date change; press enter when done.

The keyboard handler listens for control+arrows and updates live region with a date string (including day) which corresponds to the highlighted cell in calendar.  Typically this live region would be hidden from sighted users.

The other set of keys (bare arrow keys) are handled and simply trigger their corresponding control+arrow counterparts. This is done because Jaws, for some reason, always pops you out of the text field when control+up or control+down is pressed.

I should do something when enter is pressed; right now nothing happens, so the user won’t know something got selected.
I should hide the live region (message area).

Comments/questions?

-- Rich Calogger, MIT ATIC