[WG: Accessibility] Sakai Course Groups Created for Accommodation Purposes

Humbert, Joseph A johumber at iu.edu
Fri Feb 7 10:56:24 PST 2014

Hi Neal,

The separate group with separate and hidden (to other participants) exam was being used to provide the needed accommodation without notifying the entire class the user has a disability. That is the heart of the complaints, the student's privacy is being violated and is causing discrimination.

The non-descript groups method is fine, but it is a workaround not a permanent solution. In addition to creating more work for the instructor/TA (creating 4+ groups), there still is some risk of discrimination with all users having access to group membership. For example, you have 14 students and 7 groups setup with a certain number of users in each group: [3,2,3,2,1,1,2]. Students still may inquire why two groups only have one member. So unless the instructor wants to release an extended time test to more than the student who needs it, there are always going to have to be groups with only one user. It is not very common to have two students in a class that need the same accommodation.

Thankx.

Sincerely,
[joe]