[WG: Accessibility] Questions I'm not sure how to answer

Clay Fenlason clay.fenlason at et.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 2 06:57:25 PST 2011

Hello all:

A local task force has posed some pointed questions about Sakai's
accessibility compliance, not all of which I know how to answer from
the materials in Confluence. I'm hoping you can help me refine my
answers, which I need to return to them fairly soon.

1) "Is this platform compliant with Section 508c of the Rehabilitation
Act?  What are the accessibility features?"

The Confluence page that seems to answer this in detail was last
edited in 2009, and so by my reckoning it's only current for 2.6. [1]
It's not clear to me if any of that information changed in 2.7, though
I can get some clues from a summary page of changes per version [2].
The 2.7 accessibility review results page itself is empty [3]

2) "How can users with disabilities access this platform using text to
speech software (JAWS, VoiceOver), speech to text software (Dragon
Naturally Speaking), and other accessibility software (refreshable
Braillers, electronic notetakers, etc.)?"

I'm frankly not sure I understand what this question is getting at,
but it sounds like they want to know about any special setup or
configuration for these tools. I'm just not familiar with them.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you'd offer.

Best,
Clay

[1] https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/S4DtAg
[2] https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/NoDtAg