[WG: Accessibility] ARIA Add/Action Menus

Richwine, Brian L brichwin at indiana.edu
Mon Dec 5 12:14:25 PST 2011

Hello Gonzalo,

Have you had any snow yet?

I've been working on https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-20631 - The "Add" and "Action" menus are difficult for screen-reader users to navigate/use in the Drop Box and Resources Tools.

It turned out it was rather easy to get the Add and Action menus working as keyboard / screen-reader accessible menus in the resources tool. Mary has tested it in IE 9 and Firefox 8 on Windows 7. I'm currently testing older IE, FF browsers and Safari and Chrome. So far so good.

I was able to get the code to where it would be pretty easy to turn the feature on and off with some kind of Boolean flag. How do I add a sakai.properties property? Is that the right thing to do?

The code fits easily into the sakai_resources_list.vm file.

Changes:

1.       I wanted to use the jQuery .first() and .last(), so I changed the un-versioned call to jQuery at the top of sakai_resources_list.vm to pick up the jQuery 1.4 version that is already in Sakai's library folder.

2.       Modified the existing anonymous click event handler on .portletBody to move focus to the first menu entry in the menu after it show()s the menu. (two places)

3.       Added code to the existing script element at the bottom of the page that reconfigures the menu for ARIA and removes the existing anchor elements that opened/closed the menu when they received focus.

4.       Added an anonymous keydown event handler on ul.makeMenu elements that manages the keyboard interactions

See attached diff file.

Here is a video of it in action:
http://screencast.com/t/yQgv5Ct3OD3

One of those grumpy ATAC'ers,