[WG: Accessibility] Accessibility Issues with Sakai 3's TinyMCE editor

Mary Stores mstores at indiana.edu
Wed Sep 29 11:34:00 PDT 2010

Hello,

I agree with everything Brian has said. However, I have a couple of additions.

JAWS runs in 40-minute mode instead of 20 minutes.

There is a free, open-source screen reader that has gained a lot of
popularity in the blind community called NVDA (Nonvisual Desktop
Assistant) that can be downloaded. A lot of the keystrokes are similar
in NVDA to JAWS. One unique feature of NVDA is that there's an audible
mouse that people with some vision can use to better select things.
Both JAWS and WindowEyes are still more popular than NVDA, and I am not
currently aware of any other screen reader that has the audible mouse
feature. I personally wouldn't have enough vision to be able to try it
if it did exist in other screen readers. I am only bringing this up to
emphasize how different it is to use a screen reader if you aren't
accustomed to it. Imagine...no mouse or monitor.

Mary