[WG: Accessibility] [Building Sakai] Proposed PDA Portal Wording Change - SAK-19061

Richwine, Brian L brichwin at indiana.edu
Wed Sep 15 13:18:58 PDT 2010

To meet accessibility standards, an accessible alternative would have to have all of the functionality of the full version of Sakai. Would the mobile view have all the functionality of the full Sakai?

We need to make sure the user experience for users of any version of Sakai a great one for all users. If there are alternate portals, then those need to be as accessible as possible as well.

Mobile devices, with their various user interface mechanisms, create new accessibility concerns. These would need to be considered and evaluated before an alternative portal could be declared accessible.

> If we really wanted to provide a UI link that helps everyone understand Sakai accessibility, maybe it would be better to think about a separate link that led to a short, well-crafted guide (in Help?) and divorce it from the full/mobile distinction.

Nate: The first link in the Help is a help page called "Accessibility". I'm not sure if a user experiencing accessibility problems would know to look there, or would be persistent enough to expend the energy to find it and read through all of it. I don't know if an "Accessibility Help" link located in the footer or somewhere would help or not.

-Brian