[WG: Accessibility] Draft Accessibility Statement for Sakai 2

Nate Angell nate.angell at rsmart.com
Thu May 6 09:40:40 PDT 2010

Brian and Mary:

Great work! I like the tone and brevity of this statement.

Fom a Product Council perspective, I'm thinking about how to meet the
goal in the statement: "all future development on tools intended for
inclusion in Sakai 2’s core will undergo regular, documented usability
and accessibility evaluations throughout the design and development
process to ensure that it meets these goals."

I'm imagining two possible ways to meet that goal, but perhaps there are others:

1) A dedicated Accessibility Team (perhaps similar to other teams like
QA, Release, Maintenance) made up of community members, perhaps also
with some Foundation support, conducts and publishes accessibility
evaluations of new development projects.

2) The existing Accessibility WG develops and disseminates standards
and tools that projects can use to demonstrate they are themselves
meeting this accessibility goal.

In either case, part of the Product Council's review of new
development projects would be to ask for demonstrations of how they
meet this accessibility goal and projects might need to meet certain
milestones change status in the development cycle.

Option number 2 above seems more practical to me, given the resources
we've seen dedicated to accessibility so far, but how does the
Accessibility WG itself envision realizing this worthy goal?

--
Nate Angell
Client Evangelist