[WG: Accessibility] Sakai3 - getting the basics right

Eli Cochran eli at media.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 14 16:57:27 PST 2010

Christian, great to know that you were on the call today. Please feel free to join in the conversation and to ask questions. As you heard today, Sakai 3 is one of our main topics of interest.

I'm going to cc. the UX List with this conversation since these are great questions (and interesting answers) and I hope that everyone will benefit from them.

ALso, let me add on to some of Brian comments.

1. Captcha, specifically reCaptcha. reCaptcha is considered quite good and it does provide an audible challenge as well as a visual one. I'd love to hear how actual screen reader users feel about reCaptcha. I tried the audible challenge today and was surprised that I was presented with a 10 word phrase with one of the words unintelligible. 10 words seems like a lot to ask a person to type, although it appears that you don't have to get them all correct to pass.

2. Semantic Markup. When I first started to design for disabled users, I assumed that screen reader users simply read through pages from top to bottom. When observing actual screen reader users I was very surprised that they interact with the page in much the same way that I do -- skimming the page to find the relevant bits. Where I used visual clues, the screen reader user relies on page semantics to provide context, structure and landmarks.

3. Title Attribute. My understanding is that although screen readers can be configured to read the title attribute, most screen reader users don't use that feature. The text contained within the <a></a> tags is the thing that most screen readers key off of.

I'm sure that Brian will respond to your other questions. Let me say that all your efforts so far are great.

One of my goals for Sakai 3 design and development is that accessibility be "baked-into" all our patterns from the start.

The Accessibility WG can be a resource for examples, checklists, etc. Some of this already exists, but much of it needs to be developed or pulled together from other sources.

Thanks,
Eli