[WG: Accessibility] Hello from the Sakai Accessibility Working Group

Richwine, Brian L brichwin at indiana.edu
Thu Jan 14 08:25:23 PST 2010

Thanks Eli! Your comments are really appreciated. (No worries on the name, although I don't prefer it, many people call me Rich and I've learned to listen for it!)

My thoughts are follow below. Eli's rewrite of the accessibility statement (goals?) is listed below between the <swoop> ... </swoop> tags. What do others think?

I'll update the reasoning section on semantic markup to put an emphasis on the navigational benefits. I didn't think deeply enough when writing the reasoning section to extend the discussion to actionable elements. As to the detail, it is hard to tell where to draw the line between providing information supporting the goals, and writing guidelines. I wonder if, once the checklist/guideline documentation is written, if it would be helpful to include a link to an appropriate section.

> What is really needed are new and innovative designs which provide a better user experience instead of mapping keyboard actions to broken interactions.

Is someone already working on this? Obviously, it goes beyond the scope of accessibility concerns. I searched for similar works, and didn't find didn't find much other than discussions along the idea of using the tab key for navigation outside of widgets and arrow keys for navigation within. If there is going to be a library of Sakai 3 UI Components, can the expected keyboard behavior be detailed there too?

> Where do the Accessibility Improvements list fit in?

Not sure. I am working on creating a Sakai Accessibility page in the accessibility wg's wiki space that would tie all of the documents we've been talking about together in one place, and thought of including it there. I don't know that the accessibility wg's wiki space is the appropriate place for the accessibility statement and goals to be published. The UX Development Guidelines needs to address accessibility, and I have been wondering if a single page discussing Sakai accessibility and linking to supporting documentation would be the right approach, or to work the accessibility information into the Programmer's Cafe, or ...?

Thanks for whittling on the Accessibility Statement! It is definitely on point and easier to read. We really appreciate people who have energy to swoop in and help out!

> I changed Foundation to Community. I wanted to put the responsibility on the entire community and on those who are doing the work, not on the governing body.

I used the Sakai Foundation in the first paragraph because I wanted to make sure the Sakai Community, and the world at large, reading the statement knew the governing body took accessibility seriously, and then switched to the Sakai Community when referring to the design work. This probably isn't really necessary as the Sakai Foundation is part of the Sakai Community and hopefully everyone in the Community values accessibility.

-Brian