[WG: Accessibility] Article about how the blind "see" the web from Gizmodo

Mary Stores mstores at indiana.edu
Thu Aug 26 08:10:11 PDT 2010

Mike and all,

Well, there definitely is a lag between new and emerging technologies
and screen reader programmers trying to catch up. Another thing they
got right is that most people who are blind do use the Mobile Facebook
site, However, they also go to the regular site with Firefox because
for some reason, IE and the regular FB site don't play as well
together. The article covered the Mobile site, but not very much about
Firefox at all. It talked about Apple's accessibility efforts, but not
much about Firefox that I read. I wish they would have covered Firefox
in the article.

I think that the one most important thing the article lacked was
audience involvement. There was no message about how designing web
sites accessibly benefits everyone, not just blind people. Also, there
are other people with other types of disabilities that have trouble
accessing the web or reading a book.

Still, I am glad that the author made the effort and wrote the article.
It was very objectively written, covering both sides of the
accessibility story. It really is good to know that objective reporting
still exists today. :)

Mary