[WG: Accessibility] [Building Sakai] Adding text-to-speech support to Sakai

Eli Cochran eli at media.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 6 09:18:57 PDT 2010

Hi Luis,
Welcome to the Sakai community.

I see in your subsequent email that you discovered that Sakai has an active Accessibility Working Group. The Accessibility WG is probably the best place to start.

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/2ACC/Accessibility+Working+Group

The Accessibility WG has regular meetings every two weeks by voice conference. Details can be found here:
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org//x/NIDtAg.

Our next meeting is this Thursday the 8th at 11am PST or 8pm CET (You'd better double check my time conversion. +9, right?)

Please join us so we can hear more about what you have in mind.

For the most part, Sakai is already quite usable by screen readers. We have good semantic markup, good labels, and some ARIA defined for custom controls. And we're in the QA phase on release 2.7 for which we have squashed a number of outstanding accessibility issues.

There are still places where there could be improvement but for the most part Sakai is considered to be accessible.

But we'd love to get more perspectives -- accessibility is an ever evolving area.

Could you explain a little more about what you would like to achieve? Is your effort primarily focused on the reading of content?

Thanks,
Eli Cochran